"From being incredibly sceptical to grateful"
Nutritional tips from our online therapist
One of the services we are continuing to run through our helpline is online nutritional advice with our expert Suzee Tylee.
We asked her for some hints and tips which you could use along with personal hygiene advice to maximise your immune function.
1. consume 7-9 portions of fruit and veg daily. Berries are best for the fruit element and mushrooms and greens best for the veg element. These foods pack a punch nutritionally with the best nutrients per calorie plus beneficial plant compounds.
2. keep fibre intake high to assist the bowel with elimination and nourish our friendly bacteria. As we move our bowels we are also detoxifying harmful substances from the body to prevent reabsorption. Fruit, veg, beans, lentils and wholegrains are best. Two tablespoons of milled flaxseeds daily is great too.
3. eat live/fermented foods daily, saurkraut, kombucha, kimchi, miso, kefir, probiotic yogurt. We have 70% of our immune system around our guts, and these foods contain good bacteria which support this immune system tissue, promoting disease and virus fighting capacity as well as aiding digestion and elimination.
4. High dose vitamin C maybe useful as a supplement to support the immune system. between 3000-5000mg is a therapeutic dose.
5. pack in the anti-inflammatories to support appropriate immune support, avocados, oily fish, nuts and seeds, turmeric, beetroot, green veggies, ginger etc.
6. consume foods that are naturally anti viral olive oil, garlic, onions, leeks, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar.
7. sugar and alcohol massively effect our bodies immune system. specifically they both encourage white blood cells to stick to the inside of our blood vessels so they cant reach infection sites , massively compromising our immune system. Its no co-incidence that heavy drinkers get pneumonia and that many kids are ill after Halloween.
8. take gentle exercise , outside is best. Even in this lockdown you can still walk or run or cycle close to home once daily. In the sun is ideal as you are also making vitamin ~D. Exercise stimulates an appropriate immune response to pathogens.
9. intermittent fasting modulates the immune system by stimulating bone marrow and spleen to create more lymphocytes. It also also resting time for the digestion which in turn frees up resources for healing and growth and mobiles the bodies potential to fight infections and viruses. This may be just using an overnight fast of 12-14 hours.
10. extremes of hot and cold support the immune system. Hot baths and saunas gently warm the body thus in the same way that a fever does , kills potential pathogens . Cold water such as a shower (2 mins) or cold water swimming stimulates bone marrow to up regulate natural killer cells and lymphocytes. ( PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE NOT SUITABLE PRACTICES FOR USE WHEN YOU HAVE A FEVER)
Stay well folks xx